Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I keep my cats from chewing on my bonsai tree?

I have 2 cats and they love to pull the needles off my Black Pine Bonsai. I've bought them grass from the pet store, greenies treats, even food with greens in it! What else can I do?|||put the tree where they cannot get to it.





My cats eventually discovered the realm of "on top of the entertainment center" and I had to take my favorite plant to work so I could enjoy it at least sometimes.





I don't know what else to do either. Little b@st@rds. Gotta love 'em though





oh, and my cat doesn't pay any attention to red pepper at all. My poor old aloe got dragged out of it's pot even though it would have been classified as "nuclear" at a Thai restaurant.|||You can sprinkle black or red pepper on the tree and soil, that should pretty much do it. The pepper will in no way effect your tree. I've had this problem with one of my pets and that was my Mama's advice and she was right. Good luck|||When you have cats, you have to be responsible and get your plants off the floor or where cats can get to them. Put on high shelves or hang from the ceiling.|||Put it in a different room by a window and then close the door to the room to keep the cats out.|||Is a bonsai poisonous to cats?


I would suggest spraying them with a water bottle when they do it or a scat mat which keeps pets away from certain areas.


That is why I don't have plants around my cat, he'd do the same thing!|||get an empty spray bottle. something safe not a hair spray bottle or anything. fill it with water, and everytime you catch them eating the tree, give them a little spray. The will eventually learn not to do it.





It works with other things too. Dont worry, the cat will dislike the bottle, not you. It should get to the point where as soon as he sees the bottle coming he will stop.|||my cats love the scent of pine and eucalyptus... your may too by the look of it. To protect your bonsai from them, try spraying Bitter Apple or Bitter Orange (there are formulations specifically for use on plants) on the leaves. Dusting cayenne pepper on them may also help. Once they discover the bonsai "don't smell too goo nomore," they'll turn their attention to the greens you thoughtfully bought for them.|||put the plant outdoors|||Spraying the cats with water won't work. They will just learn to sneak and eat it when you are gone. You should check to make sure it is not poisonous, and then maybe put it where the kitties can't reach. I know they're nice decorations -- try getting something safe to spray on it so they won't try to chew. Cats love chewing on dry grass and branches I have noticed from mine -- but if it is poisonous, I wouldn't want to take any chances. I just don't know, but it seems like so many houseplants and flowers are. Good luck with your predicament!|||I would move the bonsai tree, or put it somewhere like in a room where your cat(s) aren't allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment