Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is the best way to get the glued rocks off this poor ficus bonsai plant.?

I was in walmart yesterday and fell prey to this really cute supposed bonsai plant. I researched through the web and found out that it was in fact not a true bonsai, which i all ready suspected. But I bought it and I will take care of it. I read somewhere that because they glue these rocks on the top of the plant soil, it's highly likely that the plant will die. So I want to get the rocks off and replant it in a little bigger pot with better soil, but the rocks are really on there. what is the best way to do this.|||Use an ice pick or knife to break the rocks apart, then pitch them. Most likely the soil needs to be replaced. You're welcome to send your photo to me at:


wchoat@american-bonsai.com , and I'll send you good care instructions. Also, you're welcome to read my Bonsai Care page on:


http://www.american-bonsai.com|||The arrangement you have is called a Mallsai, which is a Bonsai purchased at a shopping mall. There's nothing wrong with this and, with proper care, can be just as attractive as any other specimen.





The rocks you mention are simply top dressing to improve appearance and help hold the soil in place during shipping. They're are usually held on with a light water-soluble adhesive called, I think, "mastic" or something like that. It should break away fairly easily, but if it doesn't there's not a problem. The plant won't die because of the rocks so long as the layer doesn't block water from reaching the soil. If you feel you must remove them, just keep hacking at it until it breaks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment