Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm trying to find an outdoor tree that looks like a bonsai and is about 4 feet tall. Any clue what it is?

I've seen some trees in the past that were in people's front yards that were shaped to look like a much larger bonsai tree. I've been driving around and haven't been able to see one.





Does anyone know what type of tree this is? I don't think REAL bonsai trees grow that large, but I'm looking for a tree for my front yard about 4 feet tall that looks like a bonsai.





Any ideas, advice? Thanks for reading!|||Sounds like a Japanese Maple to me. There are different varieties (growing to different sizes), but I think one of the smaller ones would fit the bill. You didn't mention whether what you saw was evergreen or not. The Japanese Maple is not. I think they're very pretty but have too much heavy shade to grow one. Look them up and see....|||I think you need to email me at


wchoat@american-bonsai.com so I can ask you several questions.


I believe you are wanting a tree for your yard that you want trained in the kind of bonsai shape that you see on TV and in the movies.


If that's the case, look for a juniper (there are about 70 varieties), and see if you can trim it yourself. You might want to look at the outdoor bonsai on my website to get ideas of different shapes:


http://www.american-bonsai.com . For your info, "bonsai" is Japanese for "tree in a container." so a true bonsai will be in a pot.|||Hinoki Pine/cypress|||It might be a corkscrew hazel. We have one. It depends on the way you cut it but ours looks like a bonzai. Its branches get all curly.|||Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen' Laceleaf Japanese Maple

No comments:

Post a Comment